Published on:

Father Charged With Two Count of Felony Child Abuse


The 38-year-olf father of a 9-week-old Grand Island girl was charged with two felony counts of child abuse last Thursday morning after the infant suffered a “severe brain injury.”

The county attorney asked for a “substantial bond” of 10% of $100,000 citing the infant’s injuries. She has retinal hemorrhaging, fluid on her brain and blood on her brain.

The baby’s long-term prognosis is unclear.

“According to reports,” a source says, “the events happened on at least three different days.

The defendant even admits to hitting the child in the head, which is the primary cause of the brain injury.

The County Judge set the bond above the attorney’s asking limit, at 10 percent of $250,000.

The judge looked at two women who were seated in the courtroom watching the father’s arraignment and pointed out the severity of the charges. “This is a pretty serious deal, understand?”

The defendant was seen wiping his eyes several times during the court appearance which was held via video conference from the county jail.

He was arrested the day before his charges were read after a Nebraska State Patrol investigation was instigated because his infant suffered a “severe brain injury” and was being treated at Children’s Hospital in Omaha.

The baby girl, who was born on Feb. 11, was being treated in the intensive care unit. She was transferred to the Omaha specialty hospital from a smaller, local hospital Tuesday night.

The incidents reportedly happened in Grand Island.

If convicted, this father faces up to 20 years in prison and a $25,000 fine for each count. His preliminary hearing was set for June. As part of his bond, he was ordered not to have any contact with the baby.

Legal restitution is guaranteed by law and can be granted through the expert legal aid obtained through Attorneys. Should you or your child in Nassau and Sufolk be harmed by others and need a strong voice to tell your story, contact a rep as soon as possible.

Previously, the 38-year-old man worked at the Humane Society as an animal control officer for two years. He left the job about two years ago for retail employment that guaranteed more regular hours because he was getting married. He is currently unemployed, so the judge appointed the public defender’s office to represent him.

Contact Information